Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Budapest: Round 2

Tamas, Will and I
Didn't I say that I had a feeling I would return to Budapest? Well, I certainly didn't expect to return within the same year, let alone 6 months after my first visit. However, the nature of the trips were so different that I have been able to grasp a much better understanding of the city and its people.  My first trip in May was a very touristic trip. We checked all of the important things to see off the list and took pictures next to them.  Budapest was a veritable zoo, should it be put very bluntly.  Nonetheless, it was important to have seen the places and museums I went to last time with my class because I certainly would not have had the chance to  visit them with Tamas and William.  

The view from a hill in Buda overlooking Pest.
The building to the right of the green bridge is Tamas' university
I met the guys in Freiburg, where we became very good friends and so Tamas invited us to Budapest to have a reunion - which was a brilliant idea.  When arriving on Saturday morning, I immediately realized the importance of having a "local" with you. Tamas could navigate the nigh on lawless roads of downtown Budapest and arrange an apartment that we could rent out at a very cheap price for the weekend.  But most importantly, Tamas showed us parts of town where only Hungarians go.  For example the shopping mall where we went go-karting on Friday and Saturday because it was so much fun. Or to the residential area on the hills of Buda where we had an excellent Hungarian dinner prepared by his mother.  Moreover, he introduced us to his friends with whom we went out with Friday and Saturday night. 
Our apartment was very colorful

 Although we didn't dedicate all of our time to see the important sights, I enjoyed the city much more because I could experience what it has to offer. Naturally, it would have been better to have more time so we could have seen more of the city and spent more time together.  However, there is no cause for worry, the next reunion is planned for London, England next year.  At that time I will have completed my gap year and will soon start university :)


No comments:

Post a Comment