Sunday, September 29, 2013

Arbeit und Führerschein!

I am employed! On the 17th of September, now over 2 weeks ago, I began to work as a caretaker in the Erbacher Hof in Mainz.  Erbacher Hof is a Catholic conference center which holds both religious and non-religious events. I work 6 days a week and the time is divided into early or late shifts.  Early shifts are from 7:00 to 14:00 and late shifts from 14:00 to 21:00. I have reached the conclusion that although the early shift requires me to wake up at 5:40 in the morning, it is better than the late shift.  With the early shift, the entire afternoon opens for possibilities - which I am not short of at the moment.  The other day I bought myself a pair of black working pants to match my colleagues. In addition, I also bought a pair of working shoes with a steel plate in the front to protect my toes  as well as a winter jacket so that I look more professional and so that my leisure winter coat doesn't get too dirty when it gets cold. Working in a Catholic conference center, and especially as a caretaker in a Catholic conference center can have its benefits.  For example, yesterday I had the opportunity to shake hands with Cardinal Lehman of the bishopric of Mainz!



I have only heard good things about him; that he is a tolerant, humble and liberal man. I have read interviews with him where he speaks of greater dialogue between Protestantism and Catholicism, as well as Christianity and Islam.  This impressed me and it has made it all the greater pleasure to work for such a man.

I have also started doing my driving license.  So far I have had one theory lesson and one driving session with two more booked this coming week.  Luckily, living in Sweden gave me the opportunity to reap the benefits of Övningskör. This allowed me to begin practice driving with my parents when I was 17. I am quite thankful for that opportunity now because it has rewarded me by allowing me to focus only on learning how to shift gears which takes up all of my concentration as it is.  However, towards the end I could sense that I was beginning to get the feel for it. My first lesson went well and he said that I will likely complete the license in 28 driving hours, which is below the average.


No comments:

Post a Comment