Tuesday, January 14, 2014

From Snow to Sun

Arriving in Málaga last Sunday was like coming into a different world.  The setting changed from this...


...To this.

From the freezing temperatures of Stockholm to the 18 degree Málaga winter. I was picked up from the airport by a Cervantes representative who showed me a bit of Málaga, the school and to my host family.  To the left is the view from my room! Unfortunately the swimming pool is closed until May, apparently it is much too cold for such an activity.

The family is very kind and very relaxed.  What I find interesting is that the construct of time doesn´t seem to take on the same importance as in Germany or Sweden.  Dinner is an extremely flexible arrangement.  Yesterday, just before I wanted to go to bed at 23:30, I heard the distinct sound of sizzling meat on a frying pan coming from the kitchen.  Luckily for me, Cervantes asks them to cook a dinner for the students at 20:30 (which can also be pushed later depending on the events of the evening). The rigid structures of a northern European household and a Malagueño household are as separate as the weather.




On the same day I arrived, I met with an old friend from school, Gustavo. Gustavo is studying at the University of Málaga and happened to be nearby when I told him I had arrived.  We went for a coffee on the waterfront (shown above), which is full of charming cafes and restaurants with a view on the Mediterranean Sea,






I had my first Spanish lesson today and although it is too early to judge, I think it 's done quite well. The teacher is articulate, patient and has 14 years of experience. Lessons are from 9:00 to 12:15 with one 15 minute break in between.  At the moment we are studying movies and the cinema.  The topic may be  relatively simple, but since I haven't been studying Spanish at all since May, it is nice to begin with something easier.

We do get a lot of free time to do what we want which I find is very nice.  This opens the possibility for travel and tourism or things around the area like going to the gym, playing football on the beach or buying a Spanish SIM card.


No comments:

Post a Comment